Welcome to PressWork!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

In this Discussion

Sidebars are moving below content in IE9
  • In my site everything looks great till you open it in IE (I have 9).
    Two Issues:
    The sidebars get pushed under the content.
    When adding footer widgets only the first two line up correctly while the third gets pushed under the first.

Help!

I will gladly provide admin rights by email.

~C
  • digibombdigibomb
    This answer was Accepted.
    We are aware of some bugs on ie9, anything you could provide will help us to solve this issue. @cbavota can you handle this?
    image Co-Founder of PressWork & Senior Designer/Evangelist
  • You can email me at christina@vaintern.com & I'll reply with admin sign in.

I also noticed that, since the upgrade to 1.0, it also shows "Main Menu" on the far right of the page (in css it's labeled h3 class="assistive-text") I've loaded a screenshot here http://vosteam.com/services/websites/vaintern-test pwd:presswork.

The site is set to launch on 8/15 so any help would be greatly appreciated!

~C
  • I have had the same problem, but I solved it by changing Content and Body margins to 3. Now it works good on IE9 and IE7, but still IE8 and IE6 shows sidebars below content.

In the previous version I have managed to display properly on all IE browsers, except IE6... Can someone try to fix that please.

Um yes, there is a website: http://www.bashbosh.com
  • One issue with your site is the Featured Articles widget. You need to clear the table or it will float to the right.

As it stands, we are not really testing PressWork in older versions of IE since they are not HTML5 compatible. This will probably chance somewhat over the next little while but right now our focus is 100% HTML5 compatibility for the future.
    image Senior Developer & Co-Founder of PressWork
  • ^^^ Not an answer to MY question. Please help
  • Try making your margins bigger. If your page is smaller then the width of your content and sidebar + margins it will bump the sidebar to the next line. It sounds like this might be happening.
  • Thanks Shaun but, I've tried smaller margins, larger margins, adjusting #maincontent width, adjusting #sidebar width, and about 20 other things. Nothing has worked.

I launch in 10 days- ACK!

~C
  • Just sent you an email.
  • You have a couple content errors that could be causing the issue in IE.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vaintern.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Also, you are using quite a few plugins so it is possible that one could be adding some bad CSS or JavaScript which conflicts with PressWork.
  • I give up- nothing has helped & I don't have time to customize another theme before my launch so I guess IE users can go scratch till I find the time to set up another theme.
  • Just realized this is happening to my site .. shaunguarini.com .. could we get a solid solution to this?
  • SOOO glad I'm not alone! Sorry it's happening to you as well but at least I know it's not just me. :-)
  • Shaun,
    Figured out the problem. In IE, hit F12 to open developer tools.
    In top line of that window you'll most likely see "Document mode: IE7 standards" Click on that and change it to IE9.
    Your site looks fine after that.

So Presswork is not fully compatible with IE7.
    Most of the IE users out there would have no idea to switch that little setting without being told. So they will see a screwed up site.

I went back to Thesis till this bug is fixed because, as much as I hate developing client sites for IE, I only use themes that work across the board with little to no major tweaks needed.

Best of Luck,
    ~C
  • digibombdigibomb
    @christinavos I understand your frustration, however, the whole purpose of PressWork is to build a modern theme framework for modern browsers that adhere to standards. We do not support IE6 or 7 these are archaic browsers that cause the web grief :)

We have no intentions of supporting older browsers, and it would be very difficult to do so considering PressWork is built with HTML5 and CSS3. We're happy that you tried it and that you enjoyed it, except for this experience, which is the very reason PressWork exists.

PressWork might break some browsers now but it's ready for the future of the web.
    Post edited by digibomb at 2011-08-08 22:50:36
  • cbavotacbavota
    Version 1.0.1 will fix the issue with the sidebars falling below the main content in IE.
  • Digibomb,
    I completely understand as a Web Designer.
    IE has been a thorn in my side for years. This had me totally baffled though. I had no idea IE9 had this setting and can't believe this is the first time I've noticed an issue.
    I'm glad to hear it will be fixed in the next version. I am all for looking to the future and you guys have a great framework here.
    Once the new version comes out I may make the switch back but for now, I'll keep Thesis on just so my Launch goes off without a hitch.
    Thanks,
    ~C
  • Np :)
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions